Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

law protects 2nd hand dealers who sell death traps

Anything goes, within reason.

Moderators: Steve-SuzukiShop, ClubCappo, wade

law protects 2nd hand dealers who sell death traps

Postby jacquie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 pm

i bought a suzuki from a generic 2nd hand dealer who sold it with the wrong size wheels which foul the bodywork and rust which wasn't advised on the mot which makes you wonder about the worth of the mot.

anyone want to know who i can advise as i wouldn't want anyone else to be done like i was...the fact that rospa can ignore anything after three months is absolutely ridiculous.

i can only wonder what's he going to do when someone does it to him...which they will as i believe what goes around comes around.
Last edited by jacquie on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
jacquie

Postby ClubCappo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:49 pm

Trading Standards and VOSA are probably the best people to contact. Hopefully they will want to get involved but possibly not. Trading Standards may be creating a file so even if they do nothing this time it may be that they need a specific number of complaints logged before they can act.
ClubCappo - The home of the Cappuccino Owners Club

www.clubcappo.co.uk
ClubCappo
Addicted

Postby jacquie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:03 pm

yeah thanks it's nice to get a reply
I had always wanted a suzuki and now have one that i can't drive until i have shelled out to fix it while some creep is living off my hard earned dough and laughing in his smelly old sleeves
from research though it looks like trading standards or consumer direct as its now called do not want to take responsibility for anything
will try them again though so thanks for the posting...its nice to know theres some support out there!
does anyone know anything about reporting suspect mots?
much more fun than my polo...vitara rocks!
jacquie

Postby ClubCappo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:05 pm

As I said I think these are reported to VOSA. You could go to another MOT testing station and ask them how and where though.

www.clubcappo.co.uk
ClubCappo
Addicted

Postby jacquie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:06 pm

will do and will post what happened so hopefully could help someone else
much more fun than my polo...vitara rocks!
jacquie

Postby ClubCappo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:20 pm

Taken from the VOSA website

What if I think it has wrongly passed?
These cases usually relate to recently purchased vehicles and you should let VOSA know as soon as possible. VOSA will then offer an appointment within 5 working days to recheck your vehicle without charge, provided:

not more than 28 days have elapsed since the MOT test
not more than three months have elapsed since the MOT test for a rust or corrosion related problem

What action can I take against the garage?
VOSA cannot request compensation on your behalf - you can however take action in conjunction with your local trading standards department, take out proceedings personally or refer the matter to the police.

Any subsequent action VOSA decide to take against the garage that tested your vehicle is done at their discretion, and should have no bearing on any action you may decide to take.

Contacting VOSA
The address of the local VOSA office is displayed in MOT testing stations or can be obtained from our general enquiry unit on 0845 600 5977 (local rate) or 0870 606 0440 (national rate).

www.clubcappo.co.uk
ClubCappo
Addicted

rusty vitara

Postby yes2mud » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:47 pm

Jacquie, Sorry you are displeased with the new motor.You don't mention having taken it back to the dealer?Have you tried to get him to do anything about the problems which have arisen?
Regarding the wheels,he probably bought it in with them on,so many 4x4's get far too much tyre fitted causing clearance problems like yours.
Loads of standard wheels available cheap to cure this.He might get you some?
Regarding the rust,you don't say where it is,it does not have to be reported on MOT unless close to a load bearing area.
Also,did the dealer do the MOT,or is there a second business involved?
There may be more people with similar stories if there is a casual arrangement between two garages regarding MOT's.Be sure of your facts and keep at it for satisfaction. :x
yes2mud
Enthusiast

Return to General Chat