Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Hard Wire a Dash Cam

Discussion about the Wagon R

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Hard Wire a Dash Cam

Postby goldenhammerman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:26 pm

On a September 2004 Suzuki Wagon to which fuse should one hard wire a Dash Cam, how is it done (I have a Nextbase Hardwire Kit). I believe it is not possible to use the Piggy Back option as the Fuse Box Cover (Fuse assembly under the bonnet, nearside) will not clip back properly. Which fuse do I use - an image would help
Suggestions please, thanks
Richard H
goldenhammerman

Re: Hard Wire a Dash Cam

Postby PeterWestSussex » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 pm

goldenhammerman wrote:On a September 2004 Suzuki Wagon ..... Suggestions please, thanks
Richard H

Whilst I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near the electrics of a modern car, I used to get involved with older cars' electrics. For your situation I'd 'clamp' a Scotchlock connector onto any convenient nearest wire that was live after the ignition switch. Maybe the supply to the so-called cigarette lighter socket is via the ignition switch. If not, and there's nothing else convenient, then I'd use the socket supply, possibly with a 5 amp in-line fuse.
2004 WagonR+Auto was for my wife. She liked the auto (NO stop/start) so passed it on having served its purpose. Then our up! got written off (hit-and-run). So have replaced with a 10k miles 2-yr old auto POLO. Lovely, but oh dear, NOT the stop/start!
PeterWestSussex
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 pm

[quote="goldenhammerman"] Suggestions please Richard H[/quote]

Yes, I had the same problem when fitting the Nextbase Hardwire Kit to my Suzuki Carry. The same problem in my Suzuki Celerio also -- the fuse-box cover wouldn't fix back in place. [And what awkward positions for the fuse-boxes -- they are not easily accessible]

My elder son is an electronics engineer so I gave the problem to him ! (The principle of keeping a dog and not barking oneself is my philosophy -- although I don't 'keep' him now, but I did years ago) He removed the supplied small plug and hard-wired it into the windscreen-wiper circuit by using a 'Scotchlock'. The negative spade-connector was fastened to the bodywork for 'earth-return'. This job was done several months ago and has given me no problems. As the wiper-circuit has its own fuse, the slight extra-load does not cause it to 'blow' and the circuit is only operational when the key is turned in the ignition-switch, so this "does the job" satisfactorily.
Last edited by alanbirt on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby alanbirt » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:59 pm

As an alternative approach to the problem, this link may be of help. It is directed at fitting daylight-driving lamps but the same situation applies. You need to wire the kit into a circuit which is 'off' when the key is not turned in the ignition but 'on' only when the key is in actual operation. See:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ZBHG24ghY
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby goldenhammerman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks for all suggestions, and the link - as I have a Carry that information is useful as I intend to share the Cam between the Wagon and the Carry (can't drive both at the same time !!)
R
goldenhammerman

Postby alanbirt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am

[quote="goldenhammerman"] ... I intend to share the Cam between the Wagon and the Carry [/quote]

I do the same -- share the dash-cam between my Celerio and my Carry campervan. The quick release and re-attachment system makes this so easy to achieve. A clever idea !

I did obtain a duplicate windscreen-sucker attachment to facilitate the change-over being made more easily.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby PeterWestSussex » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:50 pm

alanbirt wrote:As an alternative approach to the problem, this link may be of help ... See:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ZBHG24ghY

Very helpful, for a temporary connection. But nothing to suggest how to you make a permanent connection!
2004 WagonR+Auto was for my wife. She liked the auto (NO stop/start) so passed it on having served its purpose. Then our up! got written off (hit-and-run). So have replaced with a 10k miles 2-yr old auto POLO. Lovely, but oh dear, NOT the stop/start!
PeterWestSussex
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:29 pm

[quote="PeterWestSussex"] Very helpful, for a temporary connection. But nothing to suggest how to you make a permanent connection![/quote]

I think it is probable the scheme will be utilised as a permanent connection once it is seen to operate appropriately. Many temporary 'botch-ups' which are working satisfactorily are left "until next week" for a permanent job to be done, and never is. "Next week" is always too busy with other things !

What amused me about the short video was the unsaid but implied statement that if a teenage 'dumb-blonde' could do the comparatively simple job, any man who cannot do so must be a real wimp in the top rank.

Did you see her beautifully manicured and clinically-clean hands ? My fingers usually have some soiling by just raising the bonnet-lid !
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby PeterWestSussex » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Oooooh Alan! You're on thin ice there ... think I'd better pray for you ... :roll:
PeterWestSussex
Point of no return

Return to Suzuki Wagon R