Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

1997 Wagon R Runs Rough

Discussion about the Wagon R

Moderators: wade, ClubCappo

1997 Wagon R Runs Rough

Postby phot » Sun May 06, 2007 8:49 am

I have a 1997 Wagon R with the K10A turbo and I am trying to find out why the idle hunts and the engine misfires above 3000 rpm. The ECM gives a code 12 which from what I found on the internet means "No codes" and everything is good to go. I checked it by jumping the connector with a bent paper clip and watching the check engine light. It normally does not give out any codes. I have also checked the IAC, TPS, throttle body, wiring, put a new distributor in it, cap, spark plugs, wires, cleaned the egr valve, and have not found the problem. I am in Japan and don't speak or read Japanese so I am having a rough time getting manuals I can understand. I took it to a mechanic and he said it is probably the ECM but he did not seem to confident. He also informed me a new ECM is roughly Y140000 which translates into more than the car is worth. One good thing that has came out of this is I am learning more about computer controlled engines. However, I really don't have time to learn Japanese and I know they sell this car in the UK so I figured I would see if anyone over there may have had this same problem. Any help will be appreciated.
phot

Postby IanL » Sun May 06, 2007 5:10 pm

The car sold in UK does not have a small engine with turbo - that is JDM only. Those in UK have normally aspirated engines of (I think) 1300 cc.

I'm afraid the mechanic is probably correct in diagnosing the ECM. The usual diagnostic test as given in Suzuki FSMs is to "replace with known good ECM", and see if the symptom goes away.

It is possible to get 2nd hand parts on Yahoo auctions in Japan. Of course, it helps to read/write Japanese, but you can use an online translator.

Alternatively, go to http://www.j-garage.com, and contact Yoshitaka Ikeda. He speaks good English, and a Russian friend at the Uni of Beijing (!) recommends him highly.
IanL
Awesome

Postby phot » Tue May 08, 2007 9:10 am

Thanks for the information; maybe I can finally get this car running correctly. I posted in a few other Suzuki forums but did not get a reply so this is a big step in the right direction.
phot

Return to Suzuki Wagon R