Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Starter Motor

Discussion about the Grand Vitara 4x4 range, including the GV1600 - 3 door, GV2000 - 5 door and XL-7 - 7 seater (1998 to 2005 models)

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade, IanL

Starter Motor

Postby Monika79 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi, anybody experienced Starter Motor Failure?

I have power to the motor but turning the key just hear a "Click", nothing else! All elecs work ok. :roll:
Monika79

Re: Starter Motor

Postby ladypenelope » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Monika79 wrote:Hi, anybody experienced Starter Motor Failure?

I have power to the motor but turning the key just hear a "Click", nothing else! All elecs work ok. :roll:

No replies!!!
Could it be a low battery?
Do the wipers work with headlights on. It's a test for low battery as starter motors need a lot of juice just like wipers and heads do.
Could it be jammed ?
ladypenelope
Addicted

Postby PeterWestSussex » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm reluctant to comment as my experience is very dated ... but here goes. I successfully rectified a faulty starter motor operation on my 1971 Morris Marina KWV926P. It was the 'pre-engaged' type. The symptoms were exactly as described above. The 'clunk' was where the drive shaft on the starter motor correctly shot forward and engaged in the flywheel's toothed ring (all as designed to do) BUT in so doing the contacts on the solenoid (to make the starter shaft start to spin) no longer functioned properly. So the starting action did not complete. With the help of the site fitters shop, we managed to drill out the securing rivets, clean up the internal contacts and re-seal the system and all was well again. Poor British Leyland design - a low-slung component not properly protected thus allowing dirt and water to get into the electrical connections.
If I was in your situation I'd say talk to the service dept. Have they had this before? If you're in a position to take starter motor off yours? elf then have a g o. If not, probably cheaper to get it replaced with a recon unit (do they still do such units!!!).
Sounds like a similar situation to my Wagon R+ wiper motor recent replacement. £275 for two failed rivets securing electrical contacts to segments on rotor arm. Shades of British Leyland....???
2004 WagonR+Auto was for my wife. She liked the auto (NO stop/start) so passed it on having served its purpose. Then our up! got written off (hit-and-run). So have replaced with a 10k miles 2-yr old auto POLO. Lovely, but oh dear, NOT the stop/start!
PeterWestSussex
Point of no return

Postby IanL » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:18 pm

As Peter says, it is almost certainly the solenoid in the starter which is at fault, provided the battery is ok.
IanL
Awesome

Return to Suzuki Grand Vitara (98-05)