Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Pulling to the left

Discussion about the Grand Vitara 4x4 range, including the GV1600 - 3 door, GV2000 - 5 door and XL-7 - 7 seater (1998 to 2005 models)

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade, IanL

Pulling to the left

Postby Sparky » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 am

HI,

My 2.0TD 2005 has started pulling to the left. New tyres, alignment, brakes stripped and cleaned. It doesnt do it all the time either but has started to wear the inside pad a little but the disc temperatures are the same on both sides.
Does anyone know if the rubber boots which the carrier bolts go through cause problems or a lack of "slide". Both have been cleaned and the bolts have been cleaned up aswell. Its is running on Suzuki discs and pads from dealer. Its also pulls the steering wheel on braking at times but not viciously. My next thoughts are flexi's. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :D
The Joys of motoring
Sparky
The Welcome Party

Re: Pulling to the left

Postby dennis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Good thinking, it could well be the flexi. How i test them is after removal, blow down them with an air gun from the compressor both ways. Or idealy for the cost, just replace them!!!!!
Dennis
dennis
Point of no return

Postby Sparky » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks Dennis.
I have seen this once before where the inside of the flexi was starting to come apart and it was acting like a valve and not letting the fluid return. It is rare but it might be the cause! I am waiting for the local suzuki mechanic to get back to me, he is off for a couple of days. The dealer has told me they havent sold any new "boots" or calipers so it does seem to be a strange one. I'll keep you posted but any other suggestions would also be appreciated.
The Joys of motoring
Sparky
The Welcome Party

Postby Sparky » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Just a quick update. I replaced the seals, piston, slider bolts and rubbers and guess what, it still does it intermittently. the piston was tight but would have went again had i not marked it with the vice grips! Still no further forward on this one.
It also sometimes straightens under braking.
The Joys of motoring
Sparky
The Welcome Party

Postby PhotoVit » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi, did you ever sort this out?

I have a 2001 Td pulling to the left. Brakes serviced, tyres of even wear and pressure, same tread.

I'm looking a it more this week but I'm stumped.
PhotoVit
Point of no return

Postby Sparky » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:36 am

Hi,

Nope! Still no further forward. It doesnt seem to be as bad recently but it is definately still there. Like yourself I ahve done all the obvious stuff including brakes and tyre pressures. A friend of mine suggested it may be a small leak in the power steering system making it pull to one side but I havent investigated. I'm not particularly concerned about it as its not extreme and is easily corrected with one finger on the steering wheel. If you do discover anything I would be very interested however.
The Joys of motoring
Sparky
The Welcome Party

Postby PhotoVit » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

Hmm, well, I've just replaced the entire steering rack with a brand new one as it was leaking at both sels, and have tried setting the tracking twice now.

My fitter suggested trying again when I fit my new tyres arriving today. All I can now assume is the brakes binding somehow, possibly at the rear.

I noticed it only a few weeks back. I'm starting to think that as I've had the car off it's wheels that many times over the last few weeks, maybe there's a camber issue, but I'm not totally familiar with this Jeep as I've only had it 3 months.

I do a lot of driving for a local Takeaway at the weekends and even using 1 finger to correct it becomes an effort. Not to mention the wear on the tyres.

Cheers anyway. Here's hoping we find a solution.

the flexi valve theory sounds the best so far.
PhotoVit
Point of no return

Postby PhotoVit » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Well, mine is still pulling after a full break service by my fitter friend. To add insult to injury, I've just been to another garage offering a free tracking service, no obligation. They said I was 2mm out which he suggested was huge. Yet he only adjusted 1.5mm.

I noticed on the wall after I agreed for them to correct it (£30, My mate would have done it for free!) that is stated a tolerance of 1mm to 2mm was typical. Does this mean 'Acceptable'?

Anyways, it's not fixed it at all.
PhotoVit
Point of no return

Postby Sparky » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi, Im still the same too.No further forward. During the snow I was in 4 low and high quite a few times and it seemed to be a bit worse but still not vicious. Im pretty stumped aswell so it looks like a continuing saga! I will let you know if I get a solution!
The Joys of motoring
Sparky
The Welcome Party

Postby PhotoVit » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm finding it very difficult to find any info on what the toe in out should be.

i did find a posting suggesting slight toe in however to make the steering lighter. something about -/+0.08

Pah. Never mind. £30 quid down the pan..... :cry:
PhotoVit
Point of no return

Postby dennis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Did they first check if its a 3 or 5 door? I believe they are different! If you are satisfied that it isn,t the front brakes, then concentrate on the rear,s. I have known a rear brake to stick, and cause a slight drift on vehicles using a rigid chassis. Check for contamination on the shoe,s. Take it to your local friendly MOT station and ask them to put it on the brake tester, it may show up something.
Dennis
dennis
Point of no return

Postby PhotoVit » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:07 pm

After it was up on the ramps, Dennis, they asked me it it was a 7 seater!!!! So it didn't fill me with confidence.

My friend is a real fitter. He's checked it twice since July last year already, but suggested it gets fully checked out on a Jig maybe, as the symptom was still there. The wheels have no weights on, but there is NO wobble at ANY speed so they've not been balanced.

I'm mainly disappointed in the garage as I first pulled up to simply balance the wheels. Then I told them my symptoms and they suggested they offered free tracking diagnostic with no obligation. So I did it asdn he said it was 2mm out and this was a lot???

Is 2mm a lot? The laser line was on 5 and he adjusted it to 6.5
PhotoVit
Point of no return

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Well here we are and over a year later and still the same issue. The only addition is that it is now starting to scrub the inside edge of the tyre. Again, still stumped by this one so any suggestions would be great as I'm off for a few days over xmas and will be having another look at it. Thanks,
The Joys of motoring
Sparky
The Welcome Party

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Well here we are and over a year later and still the same issue. The only addition is that it is now starting to scrub the inside edge of the tyre. Again, still stumped by this one so any suggestions would be great as I'm off for a few days over xmas and will be having another look at it. Thanks,
The Joys of motoring
Sparky
The Welcome Party

Return to Suzuki Grand Vitara (98-05)