Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Replacing thermostat

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Replacing thermostat

Postby shirst1.3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 pm

I think I need to replace my thermostat so have been looking into how to access it. I need to remove what the manual calls the 'engine room centre member' i.e. the black panel that the handbrake and gear lever are mounted onto. Can anyone give me any tips on removing this?

I want to remove/disconnect as little of the handbrake and gear lever systems as possible and in fact have thought whether I can leave everything connected and just remove the bolts and lift the 'centre member' slightly to gain access to the thermostat from above. Thanks Simon.
shirst1.3
The Welcome Party

Re: Replacing thermostat

Postby cbxsix » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:12 pm

You can simply remove the bolts and move the handbrake/gear lever to one side to reach the thermostat. No disconnections required!
cbxsix
The Welcome Party

Postby shirst1.3 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks - could do with a bit more info tho (can message you if you prefer?). Did you mean remove the handbrake and gearstick whilst leaving the centre member in place? Or leave the handbrake/gearstick attached to the centre member and remove bolts to allow me to move it all out the way?
shirst1.3
The Welcome Party

Postby cbxsix » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Sorry it wasn't clear!

You remove the plastic trim pieces then the bolts that hold the whole centre strut in place. The gear lever and handbrake stay attached. You can then simply move this to one side (the handbrake and gear change cables don't need to be disconected) to gain access to the thermostat.
I changed my alternator belt while doing the 'stat - much easier :D

Hope this helps.
cbxsix
The Welcome Party

Postby shirst1.3 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 pm

No just me being slow! Pretty much get it now - just one last question... where the handbrake is attached to the level it's not flexible it's like a bent metal bar. But presumably there's enough play in the cable underneath to allow you to move the whole assembly without putting any strain on the cables/linkages?
shirst1.3
The Welcome Party

Postby cbxsix » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Correct!
Both the gear lever & handbrake are bolted to the centre strut and there is enough play in both cables to move it enough to access the thermostat housing.
cbxsix
The Welcome Party

Postby shirst1.3 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Cheers mate - managed to do it today. Got access enough to loosen bolts on thermostat housing just as a tester. So will do job properly another day. Thanks for all your help.
shirst1.3
The Welcome Party

Postby ian51291 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi,im replacing my themostat this week,did you drain some coolant off before or did you just take the housing off,im always wary about undoing the drain plug on the Rad as ive had them snap off,suppose i could pull the bottom hose off just to let some coolant out.

Ian.
Last edited by ian51291 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ian51291
The Welcome Party

Postby cbxsix » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:59 pm

I was replacing the coolant as well as the 'stat so I just undid the radiator drain plug and drain everything.
It is easy to reach and made of nylon and has an inbuilt 'O' ring so shouldn't be that tight. If it won't move don't force it as it WILL break!

If you're not changing the coolant then you might get away with removing the TOP hose to drain enough off to remove the thermostat.

Good luck!!
cbxsix
The Welcome Party

Postby ian51291 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for the info,i will give it a go this week.

Ian
ian51291
The Welcome Party

Postby ian51291 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Sorted the thermostat out,the replacement came with 2 gaskets but the original one just has a rubber seal around it and no gasket on the housing so i swapped the seal onto the new stat and put it back together without the supplied gasket and everything seems fine,temp gauge now sits at half way instead of hardly moving and the heater i really hot instead of warm, its like toast inside it now,give it a good run and checked for leaks and eveything seems fine,i will keep an eye on it though because it is the first stat ive replaced that dosn't have a gasket on the housing.

Ian
ian51291
The Welcome Party

Postby cap43 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:20 am

had a look at my thermostat , bolts out but stick n brake unit still to stiff to move, also the thermostat was part covered by a fixing strut,
Are the older smaller cc engines different than the 1300cc,
cap43
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:16 pm

[quote="cap43"] Are the older smaller cc engines different than the 1300cc,[/quote]

Yes ! Quite different - carburetter; manual choke; to quote just two examples. Also the earlier Carrys did not have power-assisted steering.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby cap43 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:35 pm

Just done my thermostat, £11.00 what a doddle, 1/2h job done, bet it would have cost £50 quid at a garage. :lol:
cap43
Point of no return

Postby steamydave » Fri May 13, 2016 8:05 pm

I had troubles with getting any real heat in the engine. It acted as if the thermostat was wide open all the while.
Had the thermostat replaced and all was good for a week or so. I have a digital display for the temperature, so I could see the water temperature rising, then falling again as the thermostat was opening and closing.
Anyway, as I said, that fixed it for a week or so, but then it went back to the old problem, not heating up to the "usual" value.
It went back into the garage, and after some investigation the replaced the radiator cap. Apparently it sort of fell apart. It seemed to be something to do with the worn out radiator cap not allowing the water system to pressurise.

Anyway, not had the problem since!

Dave
steamydave
Addicted

Return to Suzuki Carry Van