Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Upgraded Headlight Bulbs

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Upgraded Headlight Bulbs

Postby pete-k » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:34 am

Hi all,
I was just wondering whether anybody has installed new bulbs in their carry, as I find that night driving in the beast is terrible. I can barely see anything without the headlights on full beam, and even then it's not much better. I've cleaned the lights etc, but nothing seems to make a difference. I was thinking of replacing them with some of these philips x-treme bulbs. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-X-TREME-EXTREME-VISION-CAR-HEADLIGHT-BULBS-H1-H4-H7-FITTINGS-HERE-/321417559715?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item4ad5fabea3

Few questions before i order them though:
1: Are these legal?
2: Will these affect my insurance
3: Has anybody tried these out, and do they actually work?

I really need to get this sorted, because country roads are scary enough as it is, let alone when i can see less than i could when i rode a moped about !

thanks all, Pete
pete-k

Re: Upgraded Headlight Bulbs

Postby alanbirt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:37 pm

As I write this I note the above enquiry has had 40 views but no response.

My comment is that I have found the Carry standard headlights to be quite satisfactory and I've had my vehicle for eight years, from new. Whilst I realise my reply does not give any positive information to 'pete-k', his situation is not one with which I can identify. I am puzzled why he is having this problem with night-driving.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby IanL » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:22 am

It is possible that his electrics are suffering from a high resistance in the circuit, limiting the current which reaches the filaments. The easiest way to check would be to put a voltmeter across the bulbs whilst they are switched on, with the engine running, and to compare that reading with one across the battery terminals. If the difference is greater than (say) 0.1V, that would suggest excessive resistance in the circuit.

The other thing to check is whether the headlamps are correct for the vehicle. I once had a SAAB with very poor dipped beams, or so I thought. It turned out it had been factory-fitted with LHD headlamp units! Once the dealer had changed them to RHD (at SAAB's cost, of course), they were fine.
IanL
Awesome

Postby Rascal » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi,
The Philps as are the Osram Night Breakers road legal and should both be a quality bulb, and may give you more light depending on what you have fitted in your headlights at the moment, perhaps someone fitted some real low quality bulbs to your van previously
You could go further to a Hid conversion kit or just add some spot lights to the van to help brighten the dark country roads.

I drive regularly through pitch black country roads, and I do have spot lights fitted in the round slots of the bumper, but never use them as I find the normal head lights and high beams enough for driving up to 50mph.

Another thing to think about when choosing bulbs as there’s so many types on the market some street legal some not, is the Kelvin scale variation of the bulb White, ice white, blue,etc etc and what may suit your eyes or taste, :)
Rascal
Carry Van
Korando 2.3
Triumph 2.5 PI
Rascal
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:36 pm

I've been unable to access the forum for a day or so as the server seems to have been down but, to follow on the good advice from 'IanL' and 'Rascal', I have checked the driver's manual for details of the headlamp bulbs. These are quoted as > 12V 60/55W < so it may be worthwhile checking to see if the correct wattage bulbs have been fitted - a lower wattage could be the cause of the problem.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby pete-k » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Cheers all I'll check the bulbs and see. It may be low quality bulbs, the bloke who had it before me didn't drive much so the garage probably just put really cheap ones in as replacements. I'll ask them if I can't work it out myself (easy as its an old family friend who owned the van, and the owner of the garage bought it from my grandfather). Hopefully I'll sort it, I just feel as if when I'm on the main road in the middle of the might, I can't see as far as I could stop in, and I'm constantly whinged at for being a slow driver so it's not that haha
pete-k

Postby oldvanman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:27 pm

G'day

Sorry for the delay, I have been on a flying tour out the back of Bourke and beyond. I commissioned machines on 8 sites and traveled over 1200 kms in 2 days so there was a bit of night time driving involving dodging kangaroos, emus and camels. Good lights are a must.

As per this post...
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22494&p=73878&hilit=Headlight+Bulbs#p73878

The Phillips bulbs are great. I even put a pair in my Baleno where they were great as well.
They are cheap.
They are legal.
Should not affect Insurance, but if your worried ask them.
They are brilliant!
Owner of
8 Carry vans
1 Carry Ute
7 GLX Balenos
2 Ignis
2 Holden Cruze (Ignis AWD)
1 Liana
Range Rover Vogue
3 LR Discoveries
4 Volvo 850
Volvo V70
Other Stuff:
40 Bedford CFs
2 Bedford TKs
Plus lots of other cars, vans, trucks.
oldvanman
Point of no return

Postby Donk's Dad » Thu May 28, 2015 7:01 pm

The carry light are great, it was the old super carry that were dismal !

But you could get holegen convertion bulbs with the rascal / super carry round base !
Donk's Dad

Postby rangerman77 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Sorry, a bit of a late response, but I've just fitted a set of Ring Xenon Ultima headlight bulbs, and I've been impressed so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RING-12V-60-5 ... SwQJhUa4QP
rangerman77

Return to Suzuki Carry Van