Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

New Engine found and being installed

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

New Engine found and being installed

Postby Les Jones » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Suzuki Dakar had one knocking about from a Jimmy 50.000 miles - so that's the boy - brought and fully fitted £550 plus any extras needed of course - promised for return in 3 days, so I'm keeping my finger's crossed there's no problem's with the installation, very nice fella there pick up and drop off to the local van hire included.
Owner of " TONKA "
2003 CARRY in white
with Black alloys
Les Jones
Point of no return

Re: New Engine found and being installed

Postby rat boy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:01 pm

The block is different shape on the carry engine due to the way its mounted on its side so cant see a jimny engine fitting in the carry?
rat boy
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 pm

I don't know anything about Suzuki engines so I didn't comment when Les Jones first raised this project he was pursuing. But I did wonder about how the Jimny engine would fit into the engine-bay of the Carry. The engine of the Jimny which I have seen looked too big for a transfer. However, from the latest posting from Les Jones, it seems it is a feasible task to undertake.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby rat boy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Both engines are G13BB but the block and sump are different due to the slanted way the engine sits in the carry. Inlet and exhaust manifolds etc differ too.
rat boy
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I wonder why Les Jones didn't have a replacement Carry engine fitted. They are often offered on eBay. A straight swap would have been a much simpler job.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby Les Jones » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Hello fellas,
The jimmy engine went in just fine Rat Boy, had to change the sump over with the Carry engine , and fit a new exhaust as the old one was knackered, but from what l can gather from the Guvnor of Dakar Suzuki - Kevin the jimmy lump (Which was there in stock waiting for a new home) was no problem and done and dusted fitted in two days - I delivered the van on Saturday lunchtime, just before Dakar closed - engine out and refit replacement over the Mon -Tues and drove it home on the Wednesday morning, happy days - with new exhaust and new black box , complete filter oil and timing belt changed out and a guarantee to replace the engine again if any problems £690 all in -and then posted me the 2 new coilpacks a week later when one was failing at no charge whatsoever !!
In my eyes that's a decent efficient service and friendly too - at a decent price, saving me having to source an engine on the web, not knowing for sure the history of the Carry it came out of, and mostly from what l could see the majority of lumps available were high miles - what with the youngest lump being what 11years old now?
And then there's the hassle of having to go collect the thing when purchased from God knows where in the country, too much hassle, and for me a self employed trader time is money.
There you go lads hope that answers all your questions as to why and how, and it could not have been any easier or cheaper for me to do this any other way you can think of or suggest, no hassle and a top quality job by experts in a short time at ultra reasonable money.I could not be any happier with the job or service from Dakar - many thanks Gentlemen.
O'Yeah and Tonka thinks he's a Pup again, hehehe Nuff Said!
Owner of " TONKA "
2003 CARRY in white
with Black alloys
Les Jones
Point of no return

Return to Suzuki Carry Van