Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Battery voltage drop.

and other Light commercial Vehicle discussion forum

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Battery voltage drop.

Postby cap43 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:08 pm

My battery is dropping over 4 days, day1 = 12.5v, day2 = 12.2v, day 3 = 11.8v, day 4 = 11.3v -=- type of dropping, on the 4th day it is a none starter,
I got the battery 9 month ago when I started work, but since stopping work and not travelling each day I have noticed this situation, Malfords do not exchange battery's unless YOU can prove it is faulty,
Is there any of you good folken out there, or ( garage) that have a plug in electrical TESTER suitable for the Suzuki Carry, 2005,
I do not mind travelling as being out of work I would use it as a couple of days out n about sort of thing,
cap43
Point of no return

Re: Battery voltage drop.

Postby alanbirt » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:53 pm

'cap43' -- have you fitted a device that is still connected even when the ignition key has been withdrawn ?

I recently fitted LED driving-lights to my Carry and didn't realise the controller uses four milliamps even when the device is "switched off". It is not wired via the ignition switch since it does have some functions to perform even when the engine is not running.

Having left the vehicle unused in the garage for some three weeks, the battery was too low to start the engine even though there was enough for the lamps to work. I am going to fit a switch into the circuit to turn the controller off when I'm not intending to use the Carry for some weeks.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby IanL » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:57 pm

I can recommend a battery isolator for an infrequently used vehicle. Just takes a couple of seconds to do the honours when starting/finishing.

You may need an adapter collar on the terminal, if the battery uses the smaller size post.
IanL
Awesome

Postby alanbirt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:54 am

Thank you, 'IanL', for that advice -- as always, useful information from this forum-member. At present, I'm at Sorrento, Italy, for Christmas & New Year but I'll get a battery isolator fitted when I return home in January.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby IanL » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:01 am

alanbirt wrote:....At present, I'm at Sorrento, Italy, for Christmas & New Year .....

Allright for some :D

Just to add - don't use them on multiplexed Peugeot cars (and perhaps other multiplexed cars ?). Peugeots need a special routine to disconnect and reconnect the battery, or the software may throw a fit.
IanL
Awesome

Postby wightman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:03 pm

One other minor thing. If you isolate the battery you will turn off the feed to the radio, this feed is what allows the radio to remember your presets, irritating if your use the radio a lot. I am not sure what radio is fitted to the vans originally but some radios require a security code to be entered if you disrupt the backup feed. I know for certain that is the case with the radio in my GV2000 Fine if the code is written in the handbook but a trip to the dealer otherwise.

W
wightman
Point of no return

Return to Suzuki Carry Van