Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

I want a Jimny!

Jimny one of the last Rhino vehicles, a great little 4x4

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade, IanL

I want a Jimny!

Postby BillMex » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:59 pm

But I need help and advice. I used to have great fun in my SJ410 and would really like a Jimny to play with. But, the Jimny needs to double up as a towed car for trips away in our motor home. I can't house a trailer so need to use a braked A Frame but the motor home forums are full of conflicting information so I've come here for some quality technical help. Which Jimny model or models, new or old, off-roading ready or soft road only can be flat towed (ie using an A Frame)?

Others tell me that I will need to go for a Panda 4x4 or a Daihatsu Terios but I'm not prepared to give up on a Jimny yet!

Any suggestions, comments or ideas will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Bill
BillMex

Re: I want a Jimny!

Postby IanL » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:17 am

It depends what hubs are fitted to the front wheels. If you have manual hubs, or hubs which are free when the engine is off, you can flat tow with the key in the ignition (to unlock the steering), the gearlever in 2nd (or P), transfer to N, and hubs to free. If the hubs cannot be set to free, the transmission WILL be damaged by flat towing.

You have to stop every 200 miles, start the engine in 2nd (or D) with transfer still in N, and run it at 2000 to 3000 revs for a minute to circulate oil in the transfer case.

The above applies to Vitaras, but I don't see why the Jimny would be different.

I don't know about Jimnys with electric control of the transfer, but the ones with the good old lever control will be no problem.
IanL
Awesome

Re: I want a Jimny!

Postby BillMex » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks Ian. Your comments are very much in line with what I've seen on the motor home forums but there is still some doubt about free wheeling hubs at the front and exactly when the Jimny went to electronic transmission selection. Some say 2005, others 2012. I may just have to get out to see a few of those that are available to find out for myself but I was hoping to save myself a good few miles on disappointing trips.
Bill
BillMex

Return to Suzuki Jimny