Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Changing Oil Filter in Grand Vitara DDis

Discuss the new shape Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Changing Oil Filter in Grand Vitara DDis

Postby ventus » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:46 pm

I have just spent the most frustrating Sunday of my life on my back in my driveway trying to change the oil filter in my 2009 DDis. I'd heard that it was difficult since the Suzuki engineers had used the Renault Laguna F9Q engine and squeezed it in to the engine space, turning it from north to south. (To find the oil filter stand facing the engine compartment and its on the right of the engine block halfway down, almost invisible to the naked eye from above but slightly visible from below)

First you have to find the thing (which isn't easy). Most people will tell you that you have to take some pipes off to get at it but being the stubborn kind I decided to try without. After eventually locating it I tried various manoeuvres to get my fingers to it ... from under the engine then from above but all I could do was to touch it slightly with my fingertips from below but not grip it.

I'd bought two types of oil wrench so first I tried the kind that is saucer shaped and fits over the end of the filter with a square hole for your ratchet. That was impossible to fit into the enclosed space.

Getting more and more frustrated, but determined not to be beaten, I turned to another wrench. This was the Sealey AK644 Oil Filter Wrench Band Type 65-110mm capacity priced at £8.69. ... and miracle of miracles, it fitted through the tiny gap from below and allowed me to get a grip on the filter.

Using the band wrench I turned it inch by inch until eventually it came off and then I had the difficult job of trying to get it out through the small gaps ... ages later it did come out. I then had the daunting task of trying to get the new filter back through the gaps and onto the spindle ... talk about curse and grumble - the air was blue!

Standing above the engine I fiddled about with the filter, trying blindly to fit it into its spindle and ages later I heaved a huge sigh of relief when I felt it gripping and turning on the spindle.

Call me an old cynic but due to the above difficulty its my suspicion that most garages will tell you they've changed the oil filter when they probably haven't.

What would I say if I ever met a Suzuki engineer at a party? Perhaps you can guess.
ventus

Re: Changing Oil Filter in Grand Vitara DDis

Postby alamontana » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:35 pm

its easier on a ramp from underneath . we have the suzuki cup which fits absolutely snug to the filter and with a decent length ratchet and a 3 inch extension its ok to do. messy though . the fiter changed on the later models and we had to buy another cup because we knew its a bear without the right tool.
take my hat off to you for getting it off from the top. . the oil pressure switch which is close to the filter is even worse to change if it goes wrong.
like my toolbox . my stomach keeps getting larger year after year............................
alamontana
Enthusiast

Postby DonJSZ5 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:17 am

Wow, having been away from here for a long time I thought I would pop back and have a read.

How glad I was to sell the SZ5 DDis at the very right time and price, just before production ceased. I think it took the dealer over 9 months to move it on.

I too would have been a DIYmechanic by now and glad not reading this thread.

My Yeti has now covered 14k miles and has had one intermediate oil change, by me in between the standard service cos its the 1.2Tsi with timing chain. The oil filter is on top of the engine and takes 2 minutes to remove and replace. I even used a vacuum pump to remove the old oil through the dip stick. Oil change 30 minutes tops.
2014 Skoda Yeti Outdoor Elegance 1.2TSi Face Lift.
2013 VW Passat Bluemotion Sport 2.0TDi Estate.
DonJSZ5
Point of no return

Postby IanL » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:18 pm

ventus wrote:....What would I say if I ever met a Suzuki engineer at a party? Perhaps you can guess.

To be fair, the Suzuki engineers have probably done the best they could, while calling the management all sorts of names for giving them a Peugeot diesel engine designed for transverse mounting to fit longitudinally in a compartment designed for a completely different petrol engine.
IanL
Awesome

Postby pycoed » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:06 pm

I have just bought a 2007 Grand Vitara DDIS, with 51,000 miles up & just due for a service. I set out to change the oil & filter & had a bit of a shock looking at the filter location, to say the least.

Looking at the service record, I noted the car had been back to the garage in January for a mid engine oil leak, which turned out to be a loose oil filter which was remedied, oil topped up & leaks cleaned at a cost of £70. “Oh! Dear” I thought to myself, I wonder if the fitter did that filter up REALLY tightly...
Read up a bit on here & the web about the job & set out to do the job… it took me three days in the end! BOY was it tight.

So, I thought I’d post up a few lessons learnt:-

Access is better than first look , if you follow the route shown by this chap on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bLARBesMUE)

If you have short thick arms like me, you may need to unbolt the turbo water pump – it’s just 2 10mm bolts & let it rest on its hoses.

My new filter (Wix9427) I got from my local motor factors along with the oil & a cup wrench to fit the new filter (74mm X 15 flats) which cost £6. ( See bottom in second attached pix). Ready to go...

I found it was a genuine Suzuki filter on mine, which needs the genuine Suzuki cup wrench to remove ( £40+VAT from local dealer plus three days to get it!).
I thought I’d give my usual (for the last 30 odd years!) filter remover a try. (See top left in second attached pix) Just room to wangle it on, but there was room to work it. Trouble is it just deformed the filter to the extent that it became punctured. First time EVER for that.
You just can’t see what the filter is doing, it has to be done by feel & it felt like movement, but was actually deformation. Ho hum, now I’m in trouble, filter stuck & leaking, so car inoperable.

Jumped in wife's car to go to Machine Mart to buy a standard three leg wrench. (See first attached pix). Failed miserably because the legs just skidded over the filter surface & needed at least 1/3 of a turn before they would start to grip & you only have room for about 1/6 of a turn. Hmmm.

Took off the intercooler air pipe (2 Jubillee clips, 10mm bolt & 12 mm bolt) & a loom clip (10mm bolt) Now I could look down from above & see the filter a bit easier.
Tried from above wrapping an old cam belt around the filter & heaving on one side – too tight to budge, but it gave me an idea : I cut a piece of cam belt to fit exactly around the damaged filter. Sprayed the filter from above with carb cleaner & made sure the surface was dry & oil free. Fitted the cam belt to the three legged wrench & taped the belt to the legs. (See top right in second attached pix)
I put an elastic band around the legs to hold them in, & wangled it over the filter from above. Success!
The wrench stayed in position on the damage filter. Back down below fitted the 3/8 ratchet to the wrench & started undoing… it moved, Yeaayyy! It took about 400 degrees of unspinning before the filter loosened enough to spin off by hand. Gawd only knows what it had been fitted with! But now it was off so the rest was easy . My new £6 wrench fitted the Wix filter nicely so the rest proceeded as a normal oil change. Phew!

So my advice is :

Approach from the rear & below - no need to remove pipes in the engine bay.

If Suzuki or unkown type of filter, use a three leg wrench with a piece of cam belt as a gripper & elastic band to preload the legs inwards. Clean the filter first.

Buy a cup type wrench to fit your new filter & keep buying the same filter (or at least same size) for future oil changes.

Lastly, don’t do the filter up too tight!
spin_prod_208523001.jpg
spin_prod_208523001.jpg (11.52 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

PICT0224.JPG
PICT0224.JPG (224.42 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
pycoed

Postby IanL » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Well done! I shall try to remember your tip - really inventive.
IanL
Awesome

Postby ladypenelope » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:17 pm

Gosh oil filters should be at hand not hidden away but this GV one seems to be a pig. I have had a few cars over the years were it is awkward, it is one of the reasons I have so many types of filter removal tools. My favourite is one which is like a thin seatbelt type of strap that winds up on a socket for half inch drive. I actually bought a dedicated one for my Freelander as I like the easy way of doing jobs like filter changes. With all the cars I have bought over the recent years I always look to see how accessible stuff is under the hood shying away from cramped engine bays and it appears it is getting worse and worse.

Something I like about my Celerio is the easy access and generally good general access to stuff.
ladypenelope
Addicted

Postby IanL » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:28 pm

ladypenelope wrote:Gosh oil filters should be at hand not hidden away but this GV one seems to be a pig.

The reason is that the engine was designed to be fitted transversely in Peugeots, and Suzuki bought it and fitted it longitudinally.
IanL
Awesome

Postby ladypenelope » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:53 pm

IanL wrote:
ladypenelope wrote:Gosh oil filters should be at hand not hidden away but this GV one seems to be a pig.

The reason is that the engine was designed to be fitted transversely in Peugeots, and Suzuki bought it and fitted it longitudinally.

I see but could they not have designed access?
I hate transverse engines but they are so much the norm. Usually I find there is so much more room in the engine bay with in line engines.
ladypenelope
Addicted

Postby IanL » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:13 pm

I think the issue was the engine mount positions having to match up to the chassis. Short of redesigning the block to provide different mount positions, which I assume was not a runner because of cost, they did what they could.

If you look under the bonnet of a GV with a Peugeot or Mazda engine (the V6 is really a Mazda), you'll see.
IanL
Awesome

Postby ladypenelope » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:05 am

IanL wrote:I think the issue was the engine mount positions having to match up to the chassis. Short of redesigning the block to provide different mount positions, which I assume was not a runner because of cost, they did what they could.

If you look under the bonnet of a GV with a Peugeot or Mazda engine (the V6 is really a Mazda), you'll see.

Though I can't remember just now, when I was looking at Celerios I did look under the hood of some of the others in the showroom. I suppose they thought I was a bit weird lifting bonnets. :lol: Looking at the Celerio the first place I asked to look at was the engine bay. I liked the look of the access (though I still don't like transverse engines - I look at things like fanbelt changing etc.) and the clearance around it. the space around the engine has turned out to be useful (for fitting accessories etc.) but I am not too sure about some of the jobs though I intended with this car not to actually do so much myself. Yeah right! :lol: :lol:
ladypenelope
Addicted

Postby IanL » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:36 am

I've more or less given up DIY under the bonnet. I have a very experienced "country garage" down the end of the lane, and, at 75, I'm not keen on getting underneath or bending over it for long periods.
IanL
Awesome

Postby ladypenelope » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:38 pm

IanL wrote: I have a very experienced "country garage" down the end of the lane,

They are like gold.........I want one. :P
ladypenelope
Addicted

Return to NEW Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005-present)