Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Rear Oil Seal Leak - Transfer Box

Discuss the new shape Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Rear Oil Seal Leak - Transfer Box

Postby DaveTheOgre » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi,

Recently, I downloaded a copy of the JB416/JB420 workshop manual 99500-64J00-01E.pdf, which up to now has been great for our newly acquired 2012 GV 1.6 3Dr. Our GV has an oil leak at the transfer box / rear prop-shaft interface. 99500-64J00-01E.pdf shows 'open' UJs at the front of the shaft but ours are closed (as for front Prop-Shaft illustrated on page 3D-1 of 99500-64J00-01E.pdf).

Can anyone please steer me to information on replacement of rear prop-shaft with closed UJs?
In particular:
1 Is the flange on the rear of the output shaft held on by a nut?
2 Is removal of this nut and the flange assembly all that is necessary to gain access to the oil seal?
3 Would undoing this nut cause any problems (thinking now about the description for tightening a similar nut in the diffs)?
4 If there is a nut, how much should it be torqued on re-assembly?

I'd be most grateful for any guidance you can give.

Best wishes,

Dave
DaveTheOgre

Re: Rear Oil Seal Leak - Transfer Box

Postby DaveTheOgre » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 am

Hi again,

Further to my earlier post, I've dug a little further and the attached shows that the 'cup' that receives the front of the rear drive-shaft appears to be peened onto the output shaft of the transfer box.
Can anyone please advise how best to access the leaking seal?

Regards,

Dave
Attachments
170904_TransferBox-RearDriveShaft Interface - CloseUp - Compressed.jpg
170904_TransferBox-RearDriveShaft Interface - CloseUp - Compressed.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 679 times
DaveTheOgre

Postby IanL » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 am

I have looked up the FSM for your vehicle, and the information on removing the driveshafts is simply missing, which is very frustrating; also the front of the rear driveshaft is shown as an "open" UJ.

I suggest you PM alamontana on this board - he works in a Suzuki dealership.
IanL
Awesome

Postby DaveTheOgre » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 am

IanL,

Thanks for you time and advice.
I've PM'd alamontana so let's see what he recommends.
DaveTheOgre

Postby alamontana » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:32 am

The propshaft that comes out of the transfer to the rear axle simply knocks out with a hide/copper hammer it has a circlip that keeps it in like a fwd driveshaft does . its not advisable to disassemble the uj like the picture looks as they don't seem to like it and occasionally tear themselves apart.
like my toolbox . my stomach keeps getting larger year after year............................
alamontana
Enthusiast

Postby DaveTheOgre » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Alamontana,

Thanks for your response.
I'm a bit confused; the picture shows the cup that appears to be attached and peened to the output shaft at the rear of the transfer box with the prop-shaft removed.
I see no circlip! Can you please advise where it is?
I still haven't worked out how to gain access to the seal at the rear of the transfer box; I'd be grateful for advice, please.

Regards,

Dave
DaveTheOgre

Postby alamontana » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 am

The transfer box output splines sit inside the splines you can see .
That is the male to the transfers female
Get a soft blow hammer or a hammer and some wood that cup will hammer rearwards out of the transfer.
Better if you bolt the prop shaft back on first though
like my toolbox . my stomach keeps getting larger year after year............................
alamontana
Enthusiast

Postby DaveTheOgre » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks, I'll try that.
A query for my education - I've tugged at the 'cup' and heard the shaft move longitudinally in the transfer box but this didn't pull the 'cup' out; what holds the male in place, the resistance of which will be overcome by the soft hammer?
DaveTheOgre

Postby alamontana » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:02 am

DaveTheOgre wrote:Thanks, I'll try that.
A query for my education - I've tugged at the 'cup' and heard the shaft move longitudinally in the transfer box but this didn't pull the 'cup' out; what holds the male in place, the resistance of which will be overcome by the soft hammer?

Simple old fashioned snap ring as fitted to most front wheel drive driveshafts.
alamontana
Enthusiast

Postby DaveTheOgre » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:43 am

Job done!
The purpose of this post is to record a few notes that may help others (and me!) in the future.

Once again, many thanks to alomontana for his advice.

The seal assembly comprises rubber seal housed in a pressed metal holder; holder in-situ with seal removed is shown below:
170912_TransferBox RearSealHolder_Compressed.jpg
Seal Housing in-situ at Rear of Transfer Box
170912_TransferBox RearSealHolder_Compressed.jpg (153.94 KiB) Viewed 577 times

Seal assembly is part no 09283-40042-000 and in Sep17 cost ~ £15 from the local Suzuki dealer.

If you scrabble around on the floor to replace this seal, then once the rear end of the rear prop-shaft has been disconnected from the diff (6 nuts and bolts) raise the nearside of the vehicle; to provide access to wield a soft headed hammer.

Knock the front, 'closed UJ' of the rear prop-shaft to the rear of the vehicle with a soft headed hammer; to overcome resistance from the snap-ring, which is visible toward the end of the output shaft (but not very clearly in the picture above). The rear of the 'cup' of the 'closed UJ' at the front of the rear prop-shaft is pictured in the post of 5Sep17; note that the 'closed UJ' need not be dismantled, which it is in that picture.

Despite a mileage of only 24k on the vehicle, the metal 'spring' on the inside of the failed seal had burnished the front of the rear drive-shaft; however, the new seal still sealed around the burnished shaft; ie, wear was insufficient to cause a leak.

Seal assembly has an interference fit in the cast case of the transfer box. Seal assembly comes out fairly easily if it is knocked to the rear of the vehicle with a hammer and punch; take care to avoid damage to the soft case; once seal is out, ensure rear face of case is flat; ie, cleaned of any swarf generated by removal of the seal assembly. Couldn't get purchase on the seal assembly with a bearing-puller; hence, (screwdriver shaped) punch.

New seal assembly gently tapped in with rubber headed hammer. Worked around rear face of assembly so that the seal entered squar(ish).

Used silicon grease to provide extra lubrication to new seal for refit of prop-shaft.

Bolts on rear flange tightened to 85[Nm]; this is the torque for the 4 bolt 'open UJ' from maintenance manual 99500-64J00-01E.pdf so may be incorrect for 6 nuts and bolts.

After a week of driving and once the repair appeared to have been successful, cleaned residue of old, scolded oil from local section of exhaust pipe with metal scourer; to eliminate smell when exhaust gets hot.
Last edited by DaveTheOgre on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveTheOgre

Postby IanL » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:13 am

So the new seal assembly is pushed over the snap ring?
IanL
Awesome

Postby alamontana » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:36 am

IanL wrote:So the new seal assembly is pushed over the snap ring?

There is adequate clearance between the seal inner lip and the transfer box output shaft with snap ring as the propshaft has a smooth male fitment to the seal with female internal splined centre onto transfer shaft male.
alamontana
Enthusiast

Postby IanL » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks, got it :D
IanL
Awesome

Postby alamontana » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 pm

IanL wrote:Thanks, got it :D

:D
alamontana
Enthusiast

Return to NEW Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005-present)