Introduced in the UK January 2015.

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

Celerio assesment so far

Postby adoks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Used on short commute achieving 56mpg, so pretty good
Brakes not easy to modulate with light pressure
Steering does not self center well
Handling, road holding, and ride good
Engine power can be lacking (old octavia is 200bhp so to be expected)
Engine feels reasonably strong when full throttle is used
Throttle response is not sharp enough, probably to achieve good economy
Could do with more space at throttle pedal, and no clutch foot rest
Seats could do with more lumber support
Space inside is excellent for such a small car
Not sure about the specified 0w/20 oil, too thin in my view, plan to use a 0w/30
Valve clearances are set by shims, so when they need adjusting, the cams will need to come out.
Cam chain used so no regular cambelt changes required
No rear wheel arch liners, need to figure out what to do about this
Tyre road noise high, want new tyres sooner rather than later
Added carpet underlay underneath boot carpet to reduce road noise, improved
Quirky little car, can be fun to drive, certainly economical, if it proves to be durable & reliable I will be happy
Old 1999 Octavia 1.8T still running passed MOT just required new rear springs
adoks

Re: Celerio assesment so far

Postby alanbirt » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Yes, but it is an inexpensive car with a range of surprising features for its price and mine has a rate of NIL road-tax. I, too, was disappointed to note there are no rear-wheel arch-liners but I hope either Suzuki or an independent will produce these sometime soon. As usual in life, one does not get more than what is paid for !

Certainly it is very economical on petrol and I am well pleased with its performance. I've now covered 23,500 miles so the second service is due soon.
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt [War-Disabled ex-Serviceman]
Owner of two Suzukis: a Celerio [16 reg]
and a Carry campervan [55 reg]; formerly
the owner of a Wagon R+ [52 reg]
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby ladypenelope » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:38 pm

adoks wrote:Used on short commute achieving 56mpg, so pretty good
Brakes not easy to modulate with light pressure
Steering does not self center well
Handling, road holding, and ride good
Engine power can be lacking (old octavia is 200bhp so to be expected)
Engine feels reasonably strong when full throttle is used
Throttle response is not sharp enough, probably to achieve good economy
Could do with more space at throttle pedal, and no clutch foot rest
Seats could do with more lumber support
Space inside is excellent for such a small car
Not sure about the specified 0w/20 oil, too thin in my view, plan to use a 0w/30
Valve clearances are set by shims, so when they need adjusting, the cams will need to come out.
Cam chain used so no regular cambelt changes required
No rear wheel arch liners, need to figure out what to do about this
Tyre road noise high, want new tyres sooner rather than later
Added carpet underlay underneath boot carpet to reduce road noise, improved
Quirky little car, can be fun to drive, certainly economical, if it proves to be durable & reliable I will be happy
Old 1999 Octavia 1.8T still running passed MOT just required new rear springs

Some good interesting points.
I find the brakes very sharp; I drive my old Pajeros mostly and so when I jump in the Cherry we nearly go through the screen for ages when I brake.
Steering self centering is noticeable; I am used to vague steering motors but this is more so.
Cornering and such is wicked but then I have been used to lumbering 4x4s.
Throttle response is even more weird with my auto. Parking close to walls at the front or rear can be almost traumatic. Is this typical of throttle by wire?
Engine power is pretty good and I find it to be a pocket rocket that loves overtaking.
The brake to gas pedal gap is awful. First I cannot always tell which I have my foot on and even then I often catch the two when using one. Also the wheel arch gets in the way - I often find myself trying to rev the carpet.
There is an excuse for a footrest but a bit of skinny board under the carpet is not enough so I brought mine out a lot (a few inches) with a shaped block behind - automatics need that footrest even more than a manual. Doing what I did made a real difference.
Seats are moderate, not bad for a cheapie motor though.
Rear arch liners...............I spent a lot of time applying stuff mostly to kill the drumming but which has the advantage of protecting the bodywork. Generally I don't like arch liners as they harbour rust but in this case they act as a soundboard for drumming noise to be amplified.
Tyre road noise .........Yessssssss....a big problem and when I changed the tyres the noise level dropped very very significantly. Worth every penny but IMHO should not have been necessary; I took the opportunity to go to a larger tyre which looks better. Modern tyres defeat the db ratings by directing noise vertically and guess where that ends up.
I have added real sound deadening material everywhere apart from the roof and that is like a resonating biscuit tin and the arch liners really need doing. I have stopped now as the noise is now under control sufficiently.
One more point, I found the legroom inadequate.
ladypenelope
Addicted

Postby IanL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:08 am

ladypenelope wrote:...
Throttle response is even more weird with my auto. Parking close to walls at the front or rear can be almost traumatic. Is this typical of throttle by wire?

I would say not, based on a Peugeot 206 (1995) and a Toyota RAV4 (1995), both with "traditional" (i.e torque converter) auto transmission.

I wonder if your experience is bound-up with the Celerio's "automatic-manual" transmission?

I do remember a Volkswagen automatic, however, where the only safe way to manoeuver the car was to hold the accelerator slightly "on" and control movement with the brake. I don't know how well that would work with the Celerio, though.
IanL
Awesome

Postby IanL » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:23 pm

ladypenelope wrote:
My experience is almost defo connected to the automatic-manual tranny (AMT for short). Its creep characteristics are so different. If I were using a manual I could slip the clutch but this AMT is either on or off and to make it on needs throttle and that is where it gets hairy in some parking situations.

Controlling the movement with the handbrake might work. I'll need to give it a try.

Also try with the footbrake - that's what I used to do, using the left foot. It's more instinctive.
IanL
Awesome

Postby adoks » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Good feedback thanks all

Forgot to mention
Car warms up very quickly

Regarding throttle response (lack of) This is the first car I have owned with DBW, seems that they often suffer from this delayed response. I am thinking about fitting a DTE pedal box, but not sure if I can justify the cost. What do you think?

Let me know how your service goes alanbirt, would be interesting to know if your valve clearances will require adjustment

I am cheap so I therefore wanted a cheap basic car. I am very happy with no aircon or electric mirrors/ rear windows, but I also like to improve things where I can, no real urgency to do so especially at this time of year

Road noise levels : Can be reduced
Throttle response : can be improved
Steering sluggish self centring : Will get used to it
Switch like breaks : This is proving dificult to adjust to, but probably can't do much about it

Off to Japan at start of December, like to see cars and motorbikes that are only available in Japan
adoks

Postby alanbirt » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:40 pm

Adoks -- I'm now eighty and out-of-touch with many things in the modern world !

"DBW" and "DTE" -- what do these abbreviations mean ?
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby alamontana » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:19 pm

alanbirt wrote:Adoks -- I'm now eighty and out-of-touch with many things in the modern world !

"DBW" and "DTE" -- what do these abbreviations mean ?

DBW = drive by wire Alan . the modern no throttle cable method of the pedal only telling the computer what you want and the computer telling the engine to do it gently
dte is a throttle pedal interface company to make the throttle more responsive below is a you tube address for a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODVTEgn-ffA
like my toolbox . my stomach keeps getting larger year after year............................
alamontana
Enthusiast

Postby PeterWestSussex » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:40 pm

alanbirt wrote: "DBW" and "DTE" -- what do these abbreviations mean ?

So DBW = "Drive by Wire" (but an internet search shows DBW also referred to as 'electronic throttle')

.... but what does DTE mean? Just type in to the Google search bar "DTE acronym" (or some such statement) and click 'send'. You will then get a choice of meanings. For cars, it means DISTANCE TO EMPTY. But see also "DTE Systems"

SO! ... there is a risk in using these! I had a charity administrator who kept ending emails with a "GB". So I asked her why she kept referring to GigaBites (a common acronym - my smartphone has a 16GB memory)
She replied that it meant "God Bless" !!! :D
Last edited by PeterWestSussex on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 WagonR+Auto was for my wife. She liked the auto (NO stop/start) so passed it on having served its purpose. Then our up! got written off (hit-and-run). So have replaced with a 10k miles 2-yr old auto POLO. Lovely, but oh dear, NOT the stop/start!
PeterWestSussex
Point of no return

Postby alanbirt » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Thank you, 'alamontana', for enlightening me about these innovations.

Since my first contact with petrol-engined vehicles -- a BSA Bantam motorcycle some 65 years ago -- I have always assumed the accelerator is operated by a Bowden cable (which I suppose could be described as 'wire-operated' but physically rather than electronically). Anyway, today I have learned something new, or as the saying goes, "one is never too old to learn".

I had not noticed any difference in the throttle response of my Celerio compared with my previous Suzuki car, a Wagon. But I am now a rather sedate driver so perhaps I wouldn't notice it anyway.
alanbirt
Awesome

Postby IanL » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:56 pm

DBW throttle does not have to be a problem. I haven't tried a Celerio, but I have a Peugeot which is fine. Incidentally, it isn't a recent innovation - Peugeots have had them since 2001.
IanL
Awesome

Postby adoks » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Sorry for the TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) DTE is just the manufacturers name (DTE systems) All well explained by alamontana, thanks

The throttle response is not a problem per se, but I think that driving enjoyment could be improved if the throttle opened immediately when depressed and opened more quickly.

Unfortunately it will probably decrease the fuel economy, which is why Suzuki have set it up the way that it is.

alanbirt, hope I will still be driving when I am 80 (Lang may yer lum reek), A throttle cable would be better for me, but the integration of sytems and the reduction of costs results in these changes. At least the Celerio has a proper handbrake with a cable (Bowden) and not a wire.

Also forgot to mention, the gearchange is pretty good

TTFN
adoks

Postby ladypenelope » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:29 pm

It's a dilemma for me but I might chop it in for a new style Jimny when released. The mention of Ignis on another forum has made me give that some thought. I like height though.................good ground clearance and a high driving position.
ladypenelope
Addicted

Postby leeming » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:58 pm

ladypenelope wrote:It's a dilemma for me but I might chop it in for a new style Jimny when released. The mention of Ignis on another forum has made me give that some thought. I like height though.................good ground clearance and a high driving position.
When I went for my Celerio I had a good look at the Ignis but found it to be rather cramped and in my opinion aimed at the younger age group with all the connectivity and colour selectable interior choices. I would also like a look at the new Jimny!
leeming
The Welcome Party

Return to Suzuki Celerio