Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Exclusive Low Rates on Car Finance. Buy your car from any dealer. Apply with Carfinance247.

What GTi parts will fit 1998 1.3 GLS rally car??

Discuss the 1985-1999 MK1-MK3 Suzuki Swift and Swift GTi

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

What GTi parts will fit 1998 1.3 GLS rally car??

Postby temevalleyterrapin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi

I have just bought a Suzuki Swift 1.3 GLS to use in naviagtional and 12 car rallies.

I am interested to know what parts from the GTi models are interchangable with the normal 8 valve 1.3 GLS model.

In particular brakes / suspension / driveshafts etc.

I dont intend to upgrade the engine, but some GTi stiffer handling and braking improvements and stronger driveshafts for reliability reasons could be a good idea!

I have never owned a Swift before but I have a good amount of mechanical experience so Im not scared of a little adaptation of parts where required.

Can any experinced hands on this forum offer me any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
temevalleyterrapin

Re: What GTi parts will fit 1998 1.3 GLS rally car??

Postby twinswift » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:01 am

dampers i think are interchangeable, not sure if they are any different these days though.
a set of uprated ie koni (probably red not yellow) or kyb or monroe gas filled dampers and some 30% uprated gti springs (you'l have to get them made) would be a reasonable starting point.

brakes: the gti disks are bigger, but it seems you would need to modify the setup to fit your hubs, to fit the full hub it seems you would nedd gti shafts. don't bother with the rear disks, the handbrake is awful.

gti's have a rear anti roll bar, but there are different diameters so try and get a matched set.

proably the biggest change would be a gti gearbox as they are closer ratios - doubt anyone has tried it on a gs, but a gti with a gs box is horrible.

another trick is to secure the servo either to a strut brace or add some steel to the bulkhead as it moves a fair bit

where are you?
twinswift
Addicted

Postby temevalleyterrapin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:01 am

West Midlands.

Thanks for the advice, all very useful!

To go a little further, can anyone point out any weakness' i should be looking for / checking to avoid common encountered problems too.

Thanks again
temevalleyterrapin

Postby Swiftmotorsport » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Best advice I can give you is build a C**sa, not my cup of tea but you can get bits for them dead easy!

Most importantly is look after the gearbox, they're made of chocolate and break for fun.
Suspension wise you can't go wrong with the GTI Koni kit (inc progressive springs), I had that set-up on my rally car for many years, doing 12 cars, road rally's and even around 10 Stage events. They're under warranty for 3 years so if you have a problem just send em back to where you bought them and they normally exchange them (I only had problems with the rears x 2), however don't tell them what you've been using them for! I stayed with them until I converted to full coilover front and rear.

Warning!! Rallying a Swift is addictive, mine started as a cheap car to do a few 12 cars etc, it's now 8 years down the line, just shy of 160bhp on BD10's (bigger cams on way as we speak :D ), 5 speed straight cut dog box, coilovers, big brakes etc etc, and on from 12 cars I am moving up and going to mix with the big boys on the REIS-Get connected BTRDA Nat Asphalt Championship starting with the Tour of Epynt on March 11th :? .

Where in the West Midlands are you? I'm in the process of moving to Telford so must be around the same neck of the woods.

Oh forgot to mention, polybush it throughout as it makes a world of difference.
Drive with commitment or bloody go home!
Swiftmotorsport
Enthusiast

Postby balli » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi Rich,

If you don'n swap an Gti engine into your car, You mostly keep the original 8V GLS parts.

- The steering (rack) is the same. Keep it, or you can upgarade with an electric EPS.
- Hubs and driveshafts a little bit weaker, but good enough. Good point: lighter mass.
- Brakes: You can fit the bigger gti calipers and disks onto the 8V front hubs bolt on just need few mm machining from the disk diameter, to rear my advice: do not change the rear drums!
If your car made in EU after '97 and have Bosch front calipers you can buy Ferodo 3000 pads, (not fit into tokico calipers)
- Shocks and springs: you can buy many type, same as the Gti, only the brake line holder the difference on the front struts.
- Gearbox: the Gti box is the best thing what you can do, but hard to buy a good one and not cheap.
My advice: Install an 1.0 box, it has the same final drive like the gti (4,105) with an 8V 1-5th gear. cheap and effective tuning
+ goods: install an rear sway bar from an gti (even better from an sedan)
balli
The Welcome Party

Postby temevalleyterrapin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:22 am

Having now now done some events, Iv figured i need the following; if you know of where i can get any of these things it would be a great help! As suppliers of swift stuff seem few and far between! S/hand or cheaper the better!

- Poly castor change lower front arm bushes
- poly engine steady bush (or additional engine steadies/mounts?)
- bilstein / koni dampers
- Gti frt + rear anti roll bars (or someone who can measure the dia of them to see if they're different to what i have got currently fitted?)
- strut brace
- 1.0 gearbox - or lower CWP - and CR gears ideally?
(would it be possible to fit GTi box for Cr gears and then fit 1.0 CWP to it to get lower final drive??)
- 2x 14" alloy wheels (to replace the 2 13" steels i use for spares now)

Car is a 98 1.3 8V
temevalleyterrapin

Postby Almondo74 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Poly castor change lower front arm bushes
- poly engine steady bush (or additional engine steadies/mounts?)

http://www.superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=341

- bilstein / koni dampers
- Gti frt + rear anti roll bars (or someone who can measure the dia of them to see if they're different to what i have got currently fitted?)
- strut brace
- 1.0 gearbox - or lower CWP - and CR gears ideally?

Iv got a set of front koni adjustables for sale and 1 rear shock, (do have a 2nd but its bent slighty, havent asked if it could be reconditioned tho.

ill measure my roll bars tomorrow, pretty sure theres 2 different sets tho.

A friend is selling his rear strut brace. wants £30

and iv got a 1L gearbox aswell only done 70k.

If u want to contact me ill pm u my number as i dont come on here often

Ross
Almondo74
The Welcome Party

Postby miniswift » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:37 am

Hi,

Fitting G10 crown wheel and layshaft wise...
You will find most of G10 has 4.1:1 now. You will need to get older mk2 G10 to get it. Nut I think your car has 3.75:1 or something similar so fitting Gti will be better.

I think fitting a LSD will improve things.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift
Enthusiast

Return to Suzuki Swift and Swift GTi (1985-1999)