Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

mk1 swift close ratio gearbox

Discuss the 1985-1999 MK1-MK3 Suzuki Swift and Swift GTi

Moderators: ClubCappo, wade

mk1 swift close ratio gearbox

Postby tantric_swift » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum but have been a member on various suzuki forums in the past when I rallied my Mk1 Swift. I have a swift mk1 rally car and it's been off the road for 2 years now and dry stored due to some mechanical and gearbox issues putting her out of action and I have been building an R1 mini for the last 3 years so funds and time went into that. Now it's finished I want to bring the swift back from the dead and start rallying again.

As for the subject of my post, here goes...the gearbox is running a close ratio synchro setup which is superb and the ratios are spot on for rallying. However, seeing as these are like hen's teeth and it won't last forever, I want to see if the gear set can copied. Firstly, can anyone provide me information on how to get a gearset copied or if it's possible?...and secondly, if it can be done, I would potentially get a few sets made to sell on if there was some interest from forum members as this may also bring the cost down for copying. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can assist me on this.

Cheers
tantric_swift

Re: mk1 swift close ratio gearbox

Postby miniswift » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi,

Is your mk1 really mk1?
Reason I ask is that not many mk1 with CR came in to UK.
If your car is mk1, it should be between 86-88.
I know someone who might be able to make gearset but they are abroad.
I have my LSD made by them and waiting for my tester to comeback to me with result.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift
Enthusiast

Postby tantric_swift » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi Atchi,

Yes it's certainly a Mk1 swift and runs one very rare Group A suzisport gearbox (CR) and LSD plated diff. Seeing as the gear set is so rare but so bloody good for rally use, i'm keen to look into having it copied as the current box isn't going to last forever. Are you getting custom plated LSD's made specific for the Mk1? I'm researching the options in the UK for engineering a copied gear set so will let you know what I come up with.

Cheers,

Ben

miniswift wrote:Hi,

Is your mk1 really mk1?
Reason I ask is that not many mk1 with CR came in to UK.
If your car is mk1, it should be between 86-88.
I know someone who might be able to make gearset but they are abroad.
I have my LSD made by them and waiting for my tester to comeback to me with result.

Cheers
Atchi
tantric_swift

Postby miniswift » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi Ben,

No my LSD is a Torsen type.
It is from Hungary and it looked very well made. I got one for mk1 use but it needs modification to fit into mk1 as it is mk2 unit. I have mk1 Cusco/Suzuki Sports plate type LSD for my mk1 gear boxed Mini.

I did buy CR gearbox for mk2 but I have to ask seller to just send me LSD from it.... too far from Japan!

Let me know what out come is.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift
Enthusiast

Return to Suzuki Swift and Swift GTi (1985-1999)