Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

jimny kingpin bearings wobble

Jimny one of the last Rhino vehicles, a great little 4x4

Moderators: wade, ClubCappo, IanL

jimny kingpin bearings wobble

Postby jamesey » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:12 am

hi ive got a 1999 t reg jimny and as i drive it up to around 30mph and hit pot holes or bumps the steering wheel wobbles violently left to right also corisponds to the wheels wobbling , it seems to be when i hit a bump on the n/s front.
there is no play in the wheels at all , its been to 2 garages for advise but ive come away with no results , could it be a kingpin fault , the car is undrivablely dangerous its been 4 weeks now since ive driven it properly , please help im desparate :( :( :(
jamesey

Kingpin

Postby mouseslapper » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:09 pm

Well I kerbed the old girl on Monday and I have the same wobble as you . It shakes the head rests at 45mph! I have to slow down to around 20mph before is go's away. Did the wheel balancing and the tracking which was way off. Yes the wobble still there
I'm changing the kingpins on Saturday.
mouseslapper

kingpin

Postby mouseslapper » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Did the kingpins on Saturday and the old girl is just fine took it to have the tracking done, just in case.
jamesey i would put money on it that yours need the same treatment. :wink:
mouseslapper

Replacing Kingpin Bearings

Postby overthetop » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:24 pm

My old Jimny has developed a little oil/grease leak at the two front swivel hubs although there isn't much play in the kingpins after excluding a little play in the wheel bearings.
Not that I would reconmend it but is it possible to replace the bearings inner race with its taper rollers without dismantling the whole hub assembly?
I realize that this wouldn't be a job well done as the outer race should be replaced at the same time but it would mean get me back on the road ( fields actually) that much quicker.

thanks for any advice given

overthetop.
overthetop

Postby facade » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:13 am

The inner race will not come out of the swivel housing hole, the swivel housing has to come off, so you might as well knock the outer race out anyway.

Remove calliper and tie up out of the way.

Split the balljoints from the steering arms.

Undo the bolts holding the large oilseal around the ball housing and lever the seal off inwards.

Undo the 4 bolts top and bottom holding the pivot pins in place.

Pull the pivot pins out.

Pull the whole hub, housing and driveshaft straight out of the axle.

(realise you are too close to the garage wall to get it out, and knock a hole in it :lol: )

Change bearings and axle oil seal, and replace.
facade
Point of no return

Changing Jimny Kingpin Bearings

Postby overthetop » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Explaination looks good although I still have a couple of points bugging me.

I have bought the bits (4 bearings & 2 seals) and studied a couple of HOW TOs on the forums.
The only thing left I can think of that might give me a problem is access to the 4 bolts holding the bearing hub to the steering knuckle.
My 2004 Jimny has both the vacuum operated hubs and ABS rotors & sensors.

I was hoping to avoid dismantling the bearing hub as that would require buying the pin tool to undo the circular bearing retaining nut (160ft-lbs torque) as is indicated in the Suzuki Jimny workshop manual.

Using a flat style ring spanner will I be able to get at the 4 bolts behind the ABS rotor without having to dismantling / removing the bearing hub bits first?

thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

overthetop
overthetop

Postby Richie » Sun May 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Dave at Bits 4 Vits was hiring out bearing tools.

R 8)
1995 JLX SE SWB.
Richie
Point of no return

Return to Suzuki Jimny