Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Vitara trans oils

Discussion about the Suzuki Vitara range

Moderators: wade, ClubCappo, IanL

Vitara trans oils

Postby Hoke » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:27 am

Hi folks, happy first day of summer, :D Now, does anybody know what and/or why the Vits run two different oils in the transmissions, 75-90 E5 in the boxes and 75-90 E4 in the diffs, can i mix a small amount of E5 with E4 for the diffs, it'll save buying 4ltrs of diff oil for the sake of 200mls which i have left over from the trans boxes. Nobody seems to know what the difference is, Halfrauds say use E5 in them all, the book of words says E5 and E4, seems you have to buy two ltrs of oil and only use 200mls out of each for the final top up, at 9 quid a bottle :shock: all suggestions gratefully received. might be tight of me but save a bottle of oil and get gas for 55mls eh, cheers, Mike
Old enough to know better!
Hoke

Postby IanL » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:20 am

I do know that you MUST use GL-5 (hypoid gear oil) in the diffs, because of the extreme pressures between the gearteeth. Using GL-4 in there will result in rapid wear and eventual failure.

If your E4 and E5 is the same as GL-4 and GL-5, then you have stated them the wrong way round.

I don't know what would happen if you used GL-5 in gearboxes, but I suspect it could ruin the synchro action - the oil in the gearboxes must not be too "slippery" or the synchro cones will not grip.

If you are intent on using the same oil in both, there is Castrol Syntrax Universal. It is part synthetic and is GL-4 and GL-5 (don't ask me how). It will mix with the mineral oils, so you could use it for topping up.
IanL
Awesome

Postby Hoke » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Cheers Ianl, of course you are right, had a bad day, i've done the trans boxes with GL-4, leaving me with 800mls over, I need 3.2 ltrs of GL-5. My question was can i mix the two oils to save buying 4ltrs of GL5 by using 200mls of the GL4 say in the front diff that carrys 2'2 ltrs, I know i'm being tight but every penny counts. all these different oils get confusing these days, I had to get 5/30 for an engine the other day and was given a choice of 5 different types :shock:
Hoke

Postby flayzer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:11 am

i beleive so... the general rule is to use gl4 in the gb and tc because gl5 can damage some softer metals , and use gl5 in the diffs.

I used morris universal gl1-5 oil, worked a treat in all parts, sold in 1 litre bottles with long spout neck for easy filling via refill hole or breather.
flayzer
Addicted

Vitars Gbox and Diff oils

Postby Richardinhoxne » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks for these posts, sorted out one of my problems. I changed diff and gbox oils recently on my 1999 Vitara 1.6 8v and took information on oil types from my Haynes manual which covers the Vitara and SJ410 and 413. In this manual is says that GL5 should be used for gearbox, transfer and rear diff.. so thats what I did. I found that changing gear became a pretty crunchy affair and couldnt really work out what the problem was - thought it was clutch drag at one point. Any way to cut a long story....Ive changed the oils again and put a GL4 in the box and a GL5 in the diff and it is better, much less crunching. With GL5 in the box it used to get better when it had warmed up a bit but now it seems to be ok more or less from cold. Could be all in the mind, but I'm happy.
Richard
Richardinhoxne
Point of no return

Postby Hoke » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Must be different some how then, glad you got it sorted and thanks for the info everybody. Mike
Hoke

Return to Suzuki Vitara