Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Vitara Wiring in spot lights, relays ..... PLEASE HELP!

Discussion about the Suzuki Vitara range

Moderators: wade, ClubCappo, IanL

Vitara Wiring in spot lights, relays ..... PLEASE HELP!

Postby harry182 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:38 pm

1stly start by saying i have a 1993 suzuki vitara, its a spanish import, 8v fuel inj

Right, well on my mission to light up the whole of plymouth :lol: I started to wire in my spot and fog lights yesterday and I’ve run in to a problem that I think could be one or two things but thought id ask to see if I can get either confirmed or indeed any other ideas!

Basically I wanted my lights so I could have a on/off switch that would turn the whole lot on and off, and separate switches for each set of lights! On top of that I wanted to wire in a relay on a switch so that when the switch is off, it makes no difference and the lights come on when you switch each switch on or off, but when the relay switch is on, its connected to my full beams so when my full beams are on, my lights that have been selected will come on aswell…..

So my idea was this,….

To have the control box to look like this,…..

Switch A = On/Off switch for the whole lot
Switch B = Relay switch On/Off
Switch C = Fog lights
Switch D = Spot lights
Switch E = Will be roof lights (haven’t got them yet but thought id wire it in now to save less hassle for later on)

And id wire it up like this,….

The lights worked as planned when the relay switch was off (black Circuit in picture) each set of lights turned on and off at there switches and turned on and off completely at the main switch!

The problem is when I switch it to the relay side (red circuit) :( (hahahahaha I’m typing this in word and did you know it even does smiley’s?) Anyway… they just work like the black circuit and my main beam has absolutely no say in it! Only the control box

Problems I think it could be…

Now on the Relay instructions…(scanned them in)….

… it says connect pin 86 to the main beam,… well I taped in to the main beam wire right next to the bulb. I think this may be a problem as I took the control box out and connected just the relay to the spots and they stayed on, again, main beam stalk thingy had no say in this :( (lol there it is again). I then took the relay out and attached the positive wire of my spotlights to the wire that cut in to the full beam wire and they lit up again (with full beam on and off) so maybe iv wired the wire in to the full beams in the wrong place? Where should it be wired?

I also noticed that when I switch the wires from pins 85 and 86 on the relay, it still lights up the same!

2nd problem I thought t could be is the control box,….

I bought toggle switches with 6 pins on them,…. Can be used as just on/ff, or a kind of “one or the other” kind of switch, so if its in one direction,… say the off, it still goes through to the other switches (black side on the circuit diagram) and if the switch is in the on position, it goes through the relay side (red side)

Now its wired up like this,…..

Now I understand that’s going to be a bitch to work out, so I drew it on the pc to make things a lil easier!

I drew it so your looking directly behind them, so The on off switch is the 1st on the right, The one left of it is the relay switch, the one left of that is fog light switch, and the one left of that is the spot light switch!

I also included the relay

I wonder because I’ve attached the blue wires together (blue wires are still positive, just used them as I was running out of red wire) that will go to each set of lights, regardless of weather relay switch is on or off, it still makes a circuit?

I’m sorry that this is a bit of a read but thought if I be as detailed as I can so id get a better answer… this is the 1st time I’ve tried wiring a relay in to a circuit for lights, and I think its going to be the last :lol:

Thanks for any Help :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
harry182
The Welcome Party

Postby davey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm

you do know that the vitara is not using a switched live in the headlights ?

I think that is why its not working the way you want, the vitara use's a switched earth.

switch the main beam on and find the two wires with a volt meter.
connect the wires where the live and earth would be on a normal switched live car.

IE one wire to 85 one to 86, that will close the relay when you flash or use main beam.

I think you have wired it with a switched live in mind thinking that when you live the relay it will close to contact, on the vitara that just don't work you need to use both wires from the headlight loom to close the relay for you.

just had to come back and do a quick edit as i don't want you to blow a fuse on the car.
you may need to add another relay in to that lot, the reason being if you want to switch on the fog lights or any set of your other lights the live can not have any sort of access to the headlight wires.
if you live any of the vitara's headlight loom it will blow a fuse.

hope that helps :wink:
davey
Enthusiast

Postby Rhinoman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:32 am

I'm looking at that and wondering why. The reason for having a relay is so that you are not putting lots of current through a switch. You have used one relay and then switched everything, you should have a relay for each set of lights. You also need to consider the wire gauge very carefully, assuming each lamp is rated at 55Watts @ 12V then you are going to have a total of 330Watts, at 14.5V thats going to rise to 371W and take over 25A, you need heavy duty cable for this, something like 12 or 14 gauge to give a reasonable safety margin.

The supplied wiring instructions are incorrect for a Suzuki as Davey has explained.
Rhinoman
Enthusiast

Re: Vitara Wiring in spot lights, relays ..... PLEASE HELP!

Postby Pepsi 1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 am

HI. Had the very same problem when I wired spotlights to my vit. Its like Rhinoman says, Its all constant live and switched earth. And yes I think you need more relays or your switch's may get a bit warm. I dont know about the 8v injection model but the battery on mine aint that big and if I use my spots for very long, they go a bit dim so I'm putting an extra battery on mine...Cheers
Pepsi 1
Point of no return

Postby Robotstar5 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Pepsi 1 wrote:but the battery on mine aint that big and if I use my spots for very long, they go a bit dim so I'm putting an extra battery on mine...Cheers

If you fit a second battery, charge it via a split charge relay and connect your auxilliary lights to second battery. This will stop lights flattening main battery possible leaving you stranded!
PS don't use a caravan split charge relay, it won't handle the current.
Robotstar5
Point of no return

Postby Clunk » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:06 pm

harry182 wrote:Image

Connect pin 85 to battery live and 86 into the switched side of the main beam bulb. Put an in-line fuse within 4 inches of the battery.
Clunk
Point of no return

Postby davey » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:19 am

sorry harry and clunk i can see one floor in that from the start.
some but not all fog/spot lights earth themself's by there mounting bolts.
that circuit diagram would blow the car fuse if you use just the one main relay in that manner.

its best to switch the vitara's lighting loom over by using the main beam wires in this manner but again that will need to be a 60amp relay to take the load of three sets of lights.

85 and 86 connect to vitara's lights loom, 30 to live of battery,60amp inline fuse to take full load of all lights.
87 to start point of your switching.
there is one worry and that is the single relay in that taking the 60amp load of all the lights.
if i was doing this i would use two switching relays both taking 30amp load by using the headlight loom from both headlights.

another thing to remeber is the small battery on the vitara you will need a second battery to take the load of all these lights split charged with a 70/90amp solar panel charging control relay
davey
Enthusiast

Postby squizzytaylor » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:20 pm

here is a foolproof way to wire ANY car be it negative or positive switched.

Cheers
Geoff

squizzytaylor

Postby Clunk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:18 am

davey wrote:sorry harry and clunk i can see one floor in that from the start.
some but not all fog/spot lights earth themselves by there mounting bolts.
Most modern auxiliary lights have the option to earth through the mounting bolt. Last time I saw a earth through the bolt was on a 20 year old set of fogs. As most modern cars have plastic bumpers, the earth is normally wired.
Recently, I put a set of spots on a positive earth 1967 landrover, and switched the internal wires in so the live went through the bolt.
Clunk
Point of no return

help :)

Postby 91vitara » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:52 pm

hii people,
i have got a vitara from my mum as my first car, we have had it simce 1996, its only got 51000 on the clock so pretty low :) its a 1.6 3Dr auto.
i have a bull bar for it that was taken off years ago, i want to put it back on but with some fog lights, the lights are on the bar, but i need some help wiring them.
i want them so t hat i can have them on weather or not my actual lights are. so i want a switch in the cab, but then again i also want them to turn off with the ignition :)

how would i wire them in ?

thanks for anyhelp

ben
91vitara

Postby IanL » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:05 am

Already answered in response to your previous post. Please don't post the same thing twice.
IanL
Awesome

Return to Suzuki Vitara