Jimny one of the last Rhino vehicles, a great little 4x4

Moderators: wade, ClubCappo, IanL

jimny engine fault, please help

Postby shanemccarthy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:31 pm

hiya all - im new here by the way

right i got a 2001 jimny 1.3 16v

it starts and drives perfect all the time every time, but still got a problem

right here goes

i can drive my jimny every were and it gets me there with no problems, only when i hit traffic and get stuck in the traffic for about 10 min's it decides to rev super low and go all juddery then the engine managment light will pop on and then it will go back to its normal tick over again

for the revs to build back up normal it takes about a minute or 2, i have tried pulling over and knocking the jimny off then restarting it about 2 mins later and it starts straight away

once the rev's die down to about 150-200 rpm it all shaky as if its dur to cut out and once its juddery its basically un-drivable as its missy feeling,

i have been told its the cam sensor so i been told to try this

leave the jimny tick over out side my house and wait untill it goes all juddery again, once it dies down open the bonnet and tip water over the cam sensor and if the rev's buld back up it means the cam sensor is breaking down and the sensor is overheating and by tipping water over it then it cools it down,

the engine managment light comes on when rev's die down but dont go straight back out, it might after a hour once im parked up and knock the jimny off, EG gone in for a hour

please help

also were do i get a cam sensor from as i tried all my local motor factors and no joy, also how much are they
shanemccarthy

cam sensor

Postby yes2mud » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Shane. I am surprised to see 65 views and no replies to your post! :roll:
Well you have been given the water cooling dodge by someone, so perhaps you should try that first. the problem you describe is almost certainly a sensor fault, also possibly the oxygen sensor. If you don't get the correct diagnosis done, it's a trial and error thing. You can clean up the passages in the inlet, around the throttle sensor and clean the maf too.
Motor factors are unlikely to stock Jimny sensors, as they are not common enough, so it's a big bill at main dealers, unless you can find a scrappies with the right parts. (Dacar Suzuki, on here are very good).
Have a trawl through previous posts here, and see other people's experiences.
yes2mud
Enthusiast

Re: cam sensor

Postby Rhinoman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:36 pm

yes2mud wrote:Well you have been given the water cooling dodge by someone, so perhaps you should try that first. the problem you describe is almost certainly a sensor fault, also possibly the oxygen sensor. If you don't get the correct diagnosis done, it's a trial and error thing. You can clean up the passages in the inlet, around the throttle sensor and clean the maf too.

Martin Lines gave that advice on another forum, he knows his stuff when it comes to Jimnys. The crankshaft and camshaft sensors are notorious on later Suzukis and rarely cause an OBD2 fault code.
I'm pretty sure that the Jimny is a MAP based EFI not MAF.
Rhinoman
Enthusiast

Return to Suzuki Jimny