Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

Dreaded Wagon R Whine..!

Discussion about the Wagon R

Moderators: wade, ClubCappo

Dreaded Wagon R Whine..!

Postby Bishop » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi all,

I have the "buzz saw" noise coming from from the gearbox. I have checked around and found the many many posts all over the web about it. I know what I'm looking for but I don't know the dimensions of the "grub" screws that I need to replace... i only have this weekend to get it done.. and as long as there is no internal damage i should be good... but only if i can find out what size screws they are.. (my service manual hasn't arrived yet).. but a Suzuki dealer confirms they are transmission plate screws but didn't know sizes...

can anybody shed any light?
its a T reg ('99)

Any help would be appreciated.
all the best

Bishop
Bishop

Postby alamontana » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:50 pm

if my mmemory serves me right
5 of the six bolts have 10 mm socket size heads which = a 6 mm thread size .thread length about 12mm
the other screw behind the 5th gear is a tapered chamfer with an allen key insert
like my toolbox . my stomach keeps getting larger year after year............................
alamontana
Enthusiast

Postby Bishop » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for the reply - you are correct on the inspection cover bolts but I think the transmission plate grub screws are different per year as I have heard of several different types.
Also I hear alot of mention about replacing these with similar High Tensile types.. Personally I would'nt.. the factory bolts can be 'easy outed' if they shear, high Tensile ones make it much more difficult..

What ever the choice, I would certainly consider replacing these for any wagon r thats approaching mid-life.

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff191/lxxBishopxxl/Suzuki%
20Wagon%20R%201999/GB_UpperFront.png[/img]

I have a set of screws comming Monday, I will try to get the type/size and post.
All the best
:)
Bishop

Postby Bishop » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:16 pm

well... its all done. the bolt studs were a pain to get get out without dropping the gearbox out.

but the 'Buzz Saw' is gone and things are running as they should.
A lucky escape for me this time.. those bolt heads could have done some real damage..!

thanks all --
Bishop

Postby Allanw » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 am

Does anyone know if this affects the JDM turbo Wagon R??? Mine has done 126,000Kms (about 78,000 miles) and is not noisy, although 5th can be a little sticky to engage (still goes in everytime, but pauses on its way). It is a 1997 model.

It has had a hard life, but stil seems fine - I wonder If I need to check them.

It is the Suzuki gearbox with the problem? Not the GM/Vauxhall one?

If I need to do mine, I'd like to do them before it happens!

Thank you!

Allan, New Zealand
Allanw

Postby Bishop » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi, Not too sure about your particular model.. i would check the manual
and look for the transmission plate.. (see prev image)

On my model a T reg Wagon R (not plus), once the side cover was removed from the gearbox (get a drip-pan ready!) the screws are clearly visible and easily accessible.

My screws cost about £11 and I would estimate approx 2 hours to replace.
If they shear off... that could turn into days depending on your work area and tool set...

Without putting the fear of god into anyone.. I would suggest replacing these screws... but that is my own personal opinion..after going through
pain of drilling out the bolts!

If you are happy to keep rolling as is, so be it - pro's and con's for both sides.

I hope this helps-

all the best

Bishop-
Bishop

T reg Wagon

Postby alanbirt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 pm

For 'Allanw' - as I note you are Kiwi, you may not have interpreted 'Bishop's statement that his Wagon is "T reg". I know the NZ method for car registration numbers is quite different. On the UK system this means it was first registered for use on the road between 1 Mar and 31 Aug of 1999.

[I shall be in NZ for five weeks from early March, visiting my younger son and family at Helensville]
Sqn Ldr Alan Birt
Owner of two Suzukis: a Wagon R+
[52] and a Carry [55] campervan in
England (plus a Nissan Vanette [04]
campervan in New Zealand)
alanbirt
Enthusiast

Re: T reg Wagon

Postby Allanw » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 am

alanbirt wrote:[I shall be in NZ for five weeks from early March, visiting my younger son and family at Helensville]

Hehe.. thanks for the heads up on the plate thing - I usually google it to see what year that means :-)

I'm only about 3 hours from Helensville :-)

Bishop - did you manage to get the screw sizes? I can either get some after market ones, or I can order them from suzuki - suzuki have to send my parts orders to head office to have them translated from japanese though! as my car is Japanese domestic market only! Aftermarket would be easy, If I can get them before pulling the car apart, great! If not, I'll have to use the Cappuccino or the Kombi for a few days :-)

Cheers all!!
Allan
(New Zealand)
Allanw

Postby Bishop » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately my screws were delivered to my mechanic (my brother)
and had them in before I was able to get a look-in!

However, since I had this issue I have seen several different variants..
some are bolt head, some are alan key and mine were chamfered Phillips head bolts..

I do know that they are called transmission left plate screws/bolts..

regards

Bishop
Bishop

Postby Allanw » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Bishop wrote:Hi,
However, since I had this issue I have seen several different variants..

Well, thanks anyway - mine could be anything being a turbo.

I'm hoping by 'box is made stronger... it does have 100HP going through it!

Thank you

Allan
(New Zealand)
Allanw

gear box oil replace

Postby sue » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:24 pm

can you please tell me how i put gear oil in the wagon as i cant work it out
sue

Re: gear box oil replace

Postby alamontana » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:11 pm

sue wrote:can you please tell me how i put gear oil in the wagon as i cant work it out

there is a plug above and behind the l/h driveshaft with a square drive insert to remove it from the gearbox. a 3/8 drive ratchet will usually fit into it.
like my toolbox . my stomach keeps getting larger year after year............................
alamontana
Enthusiast

re gaer box oil

Postby sue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:35 pm

thankyou for the help will try it
sue

Postby manit40 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi guys does this problem with the g/box on the wagon r does it affect the auto boxes mine x plate 2000 with 23000 from new oil changed every 3 to 6 months engine and g/box thanks :) :)
manit40

Postby alamontana » Fri May 21, 2010 6:47 pm

manit40 wrote:Hi guys does this problem with the g/box on the wagon r does it affect the auto boxes mine x plate 2000 with 23000 from new oil changed every 3 to 6 months engine and g/box thanks :) :)

No it doesnt
ive never had a suzuki auto box to bits in 15 years,thats not too say other people havent but they are usually very good.
alamontana
Enthusiast

Next

Return to Suzuki Wagon R