Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

2.0 TD LOW FUEL PRESSURE FAULT

Discussion about the Grand Vitara 4x4 range, including the GV1600 - 3 door, GV2000 - 5 door and XL-7 - 7 seater (1998 to 2005 models)

Moderators: wade, ClubCappo, IanL

2.0 TD LOW FUEL PRESSURE FAULT

Postby IAIN BARKER » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm at my wit's end. Immediately after a service where the fuel filter was changed the engine warning light came on. It was diagnosed as a low fuel pressure fault and the light turned off. It keeps coming back on and they keep turning it off. The car (52 plate) doesn't go into limp mode. When I chuck a bottle of redex injector cleaner in the tank it goes off - when I just have deisel in the tank alone, it comes on.

Any suggestions and I may get some sleep once again!
Cheers.
Iain
IAIN BARKER

Postby Celtic 4x4 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Common rail pressure sensor is either dirty or needs replacing.
When they change the filter, because the system is self priming, they tend to just keep cranking until it fires.
This causes the sensor to run dry and get damaged.
Alternately they might not have cleaned all the crap out of the filter housing before putting the new filter in.
This will cause the sensor to get all crapped up and give an erroneous reading, or it can damage the sensor.
Best bet is to remove and clean it, if this doesn't cure the problem then replace it.
Celtic 4x4
Point of no return

Postby Yorky » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:52 am

Lots of postings on here about problems with the fuel filter and the engine management light, did they change the fuel filter housings O ring seal as well when they changed the fuel filter? There are too many possibilities to give a definitive answer :cry:

Good look with sorting it out.
2001 Grand Vitara 2.0TD
Yorky
Point of no return

Return to Suzuki Grand Vitara (98-05)