Suzuki Forum

Suzuki For You

obtaining a spare key with remote...

Jimny one of the last Rhino vehicles, a great little 4x4

Moderators: wade, ClubCappo, IanL

obtaining a spare key with remote...

Postby tigerwoods » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:38 am

hello all,

i bought a 2002 jimny yesterday and to my horror that it only came with ONE key! (i'm a little cheesed off to say the least).

at the moment i only have the one remote key which can open the doors manually or by pressing the buttons it's like a central locking system.

i'm sure 100% of you who will be reading this will agree with me that having the ONE key is not a safe option. therefore i need another one just to be on the safe side.

as i mentioned above, mine is a 2002 'special', can anybody please in the know can put me through to the right people who can supply me with a spare reprogrammed key? (at a reasonable, non extortionate price)

there are a few guys selling a couple of blank keys with the circuit board inside them on ebay, are these worth buying? and if so bought, how do i reprogram the key for MY specific jimny?

all response very much appreciated.

thank you.
tigerwoods

keys

Postby yes2mud » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 pm

My 05 Jimny, came new with just the one "plip" key. The spare is just a simple push it in the keyhole type. I am not sure if there is any circuit at all in it? Certainly no screws holding it together. I have never used it in 5 years, and don't miss not having a second "plip". Why not just get a simple spare cut?
yes2mud
Enthusiast

Postby facade » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:37 pm

A plain key likely won't start the car I'm afraid.

Most Jimnys use an ignition immobiliser key, with a chip inside the plastic part. The security module has to be programmed to accept a new chip key.
This costs a very very very large sum of money, because it is so difficult to plug the diagnostic tool in and follow a few onscreen prompts :roll:

I imagine a similarly expensive procedure is required to match a key with the remote door locking plip.

However, if you have the misfortune to snap a key off, you can get a plain key cut at the local keybar, then attach the broken off key on the same ring, and the chip in the old key will be close enough to the receiver around the lock to work the ignition.
facade
Point of no return

Postby Richie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Cost i paid was £50 for a spare second key ( normal looking key but as stated they do have transponder inside)

Any (ring a few in Yellow pages) local locksmith should be able to program one.

R 8)
1995 JLX SE SWB.
Richie
Point of no return

Postby dansalemming » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:43 am

Hi try your local Timpson. http://www.timpson.co.uk/locate the link for their store finder, for a normal key without the remote it's about £70 to cut and code which is the cheapest I could find when my jimny only came with 1 key.

Dan
dansalemming
The Welcome Party

spare key

Postby khoojohn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:21 pm

I went to a nearby shop at ASDA and he wanted £150 for the key plus programming. Told me that it'll cost about 3 times as much if I go to a dealer. Is that true?
khoojohn
The Welcome Party

Postby dansalemming » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:43 pm

£150 is around main dealer price
dansalemming
The Welcome Party

Return to Suzuki Jimny